Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Huck FInn

Good morning! It's becoming hotter these days, isn't it?

I enjoyed Huck Finn last time though I didn't really understand what they said.
I think Huck is a mischievous and clever boy. And he is pure, too. I've read a book of Huck Finn( in Japanese, though...) , and I liked it very much. He always solve difficult problems with his cleverness.
It's so exciting to read. He gives us some questions about such as racism or social problems through his adventure in the book. 
If you have time, please try reading it.

1 comment:

Professor Philips said...

Lord? Road?

I was really amazed when I found out that Japanese had problems wtih this. But the name of the book is _Lord of the Rings_. The "l" vs. "r" problem of Japanese I knew about, but since Japanese has only five vowels, you cannot hear the difference between "aw and "oh" very easily, can you?

I am not sure why the Japanese Ministry of Educaion decided that post-vocalic "r" should not be pronounced in katakana English, when it is pronounced in other language loan words, but that is the rule in Japan. As a speaker of something like standard American I find it strange, but I do know that many dialects of English don't pronounce post-vocalic "r".

Should we do some more listening practice for the rest of class? I mean after we finish the ordering food practice.