Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Practice in school for the deaf

Last weekend, I went to school for the deaf in Aomori to practice teaching and care students. They had sports festival then, so I helped it. Befere practice, I was very nervous because I didn't know what I can do.
But teachers and students there are very friendly and kind. I didn't know finger language,but I could talk by speaking loudly and opening my mouth very big. I was taught some finger languages by students and teachers, for example "Good morning" "I am ~" "It's fine today" "Best smile" which is the theme of the sports festival. Actually, everyone had good smile!!
This experience is shocking for me. I could get many things from that. I want to make use of this experience to next practice.

2 comments:

Professor Philips said...

Since you are all making the same mistake, and since this is an important topic, let me explain that it's called "sign language" in English.

There are many sign languages around the world. My wife is studying some of them in Africa. Last time I went to Nigeria I recorded sign language news programs from television stations. There seem to be several different deaf languages in Nigeria alone.

Gallaudet University in Washington DC is the leading deaf university in the United States. Washington has a large deaf community.

Professor Philips said...

If you want to see the videos of African TV news programs in sign language you have to ask my wife. I will put you in touch with her if you want.

Sign language news in Nigeria is not like in Japan, where there is a separate sign language news program on NHK, rather there is a man in the corner of the television screen doing translations. He translates the English language television news program into American Sign Language, and the Hausa language news program into a local sign language, rather the way that NHK translates the Japanese news into English on the audio subchannel here in Japan.

There are many different sign languages around the world. Here is a list.