Saturday, June 22, 2013

American humor in the movies

I would object to this review's apparent assumption that American humor is monolithic, when in fact it is wildly diverse, from highbrow of various sorts (Steve Allen and Woody Allen should never be confused, just for example) to vulgar slapstick of various sorts. Charles Chaplin seemed to combine all levels in his comedy, but then he was an expatriate Briton who never became an American. He just worked in Hollywood. And the article did note how American humor has changed over time, although ignoring how diverse it remains at any given time.

But I have to recommend this article if only for the following observation:

Yodo-san, as he was affectionately known throughout the Japanese film industry, could as easily tell you why John Belushi was so scintillating in “The Blues Brothers” as weep over the line about life being like a box of chocolates in “Forrest Gump.” He was a living, breathing incarnation of IMDb.com long before the Internet.
I didn't know which was your favorite scene and/or song in the movie, and I had so many myself. Maybe I'll just put this one on the blog for you to enjoy, and you can tell us what else you liked about the movie. If you liked it.



Oh, heck. Why don't I include my favorite song, the only actual 12-bar blues in the film?


No comments: